Life in the world of Nuno Costa

Monday, August 16, 2010

Our imperfections are perfect

I have been on the road for almost 5 weeks already - this has been quite a trip/journey.

I left San Diego on the 15th of July for the Crossfit Games in Carson, CA at the Home Depot Center for a weekend of competition. On the 19th I left LA to London where i spent a couple of days before heading out to Copenhagen to coach a Crossfit Endurance Certification. Back to London after that for a few days before heading to Cologne, Germany to compete in the Gay Games. After that i came to my home town of Lisboa, Portugal to finally relax and recharge for 2 weeks before returning to San Diego.

Whooo that's a lot of traveling, i can't believe i have been gone that long - part of me wants to return, and another part of me wants to continue to travel and see the world.

I am truly blessed to be able to do this in my life - be able to pick up and go and spend almost 6 weeks in Europe for the summer, how did life get so good?

When i was in my twenties i did a bit of traveling as well, and i got in the habit of sending out an email to my closest friends sharing with them what i was experiencing, what i was seeing, hearing, etc....This is now my means of communication so that more people can see, read and hear about my adventures.

Exploring different cultures is always a neat experience for me - being in London i felt quite comfortable, and in Copenhagen we were surrounded by people that spoke really good English so that was easy to communicate, but i was surprised in Germany that quite a few folks from there did not speak the universal language of English, i had a tough time communicating on a few occasions.

Being in Portugal I've also experienced a bit of difficulty communicating. I learned Portuguese till 7th grade when i lived here, but when we moved to California i basically stopped speaking it unless it was on my trips to visit. I can speak it, understand it, read it, but at times i find it a bit harder to communicate what it is I am trying to say - or i feel that the flow of the conversation isn't perfect....or maybe it is....

I find that i do a lot more listening here, which in my opinion is a good thing - sometimes i talk too much, and when i am in a position to listen i often learn a lot more about people, what they are sharing and the world.

I really love traveling and observing people from different cultures - its humbling, just when i think that i have it figured out, i realize i have so much to learn still...

2 comments:

  1. Nice thoughts Nuno. It's been great 'traveling' with you vicariously in your European travels. The pictures have been great, and congrats on your competition successes as well.

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dean - thank you for being part of the journey :)

    ReplyDelete