Life in the world of Nuno Costa

Friday, February 18, 2011

Training & Coaching

It's been a couple of weeks since I got back from New Zealand - what an unbelievable country that is.  It would have been great to spend more time there, but I know that won't be my last time there hopefully.   I even proposed to my brother that once he graduates from Architecture school that will be his graduation present.  We are going to take a backpacking trip and explore the sites.  This ought to give him some motivation to get through some of the tough times, as he's in his 3rd year and having to pull some all nighters to get his school work done, while also working 25 hours a week to pay for his tuition - super proud of him!

Believe it or not when I got back from my trip I didn't feel jet-lagged at all.  I purposely stayed awake most of the flight so that I'd adjust to the time zones a little faster, but I was happily surprised that I never felt super exhausted.   I did allow myself to sleep a little longer as I felt my body needed the rest, but I picked up right where I left off and been able to keep pace without breaking down.

As for my training - things are coming along well.  I am doing 4 crossfit workouts per week, and doing 2 bike rides, 2 swim sessions and 2 run sessions per week all based off Crossfit Endurance.

Last week I was pretty exhausted by Saturday and took Sunday off completely as I really felt like my body could use the rest.  For this week, I swam Monday with Christopher Walden & Christina at Coronado Community Pool  - and if you haven't been there, you absolutely have to go sometime, it's one of the nicest pools I have ever swam in.  I got on my bike both Tuesday & Thursday and managed to get in some good riding and was able to avoid the rain.  This morning I was able to go to the Mission Valley YMCA and do Masters swim.  As my Ironman is fast approaching I'll be doing that once or twice a week to improve my swim.

I definitely feel as if I am on track for my training.  I need to make sure I do a few rides to test out my nutrition, and continue to be consistent and stay strong and get all the little tid bits dialed in the next few months - less than 12 weeks to go, so now its a matter of fine tuning the training and coming up with a race strategy and getting my nutrition in order for the race.

I was on the IM St. George site this week, and they have a pretty cool course preview - check it out



As for this weekend I am now sitting at the airport getting ready to head up to Portland to coach the Crossfit Endurance course at Crossfit Excellence - I absolutely love what I do, and feel super blessed and grateful that I have an opportunity to pass on what I have learned about endurance training and making a positive impact in people's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment