Life in the world of Nuno Costa

Monday, October 25, 2010

12 Months of Racing

Time to Re-Define What's Possible....
After my recent triathlon I was completely inspired to get back into triathlons and actually train for them in the future.   I surprised myself on how well I did, maybe my age group wasn't as competitive as before, maybe I was fast, maybe it was a combination - either way I was stoked with a 5th place finish in a field of close to 150.  It led me to think that I could really compete at triathlons, even if just for fun - it fueled me so much that I decided I want to do an Ironman - why the heck not?  It's official, last week I registered for Ironman St. George in Utah on May 7th - super excited about it.  An Ironman is a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and 26.2 mile run - a full marathon at the end - saving the best for last.  why the heck not - i've heard its beautiful in Utah and this is one of the toughest IM events - BRING IT!

For the next couple of months I will continue to crossfit 4-6 x week, and 1 CFE run workout, 1 CFE Bike workout and 1 CFE swim per week.  I'll bump it up to 2 per sport per week when the new year rolls around.  I am also in the process of purchasing a tri bike - it's one of the things that was on my 100 things I want to do before passing on, so I figured this would be perfect timing.

In the course of all this madness I decided to put together a full 12 month race schedule - here's what it looks like:
November - Turkey Trot 5k
December - last year I did Bumble Bee 5k on the 30th and love the race course although I am considering going up to SF for new years, so this is undecided for now
January - nothing planned yet :)
February 13th - San Dieguito 1/2 Marathon
March 6th - Palm Springs Triathlon (International Distance)
April 3rd - Carlsbad 5000 - one of my favorite races, home course :)
May 7th - Ironman St. George, Utah
May 28th - Tough Mudder - http://toughmudder.com/events
June 5th -11th - AIDS LifeCycle - 545 miles - 7 days from SF to LA
July - Crossfit Games?
possibly will do Solana Beach Tri - i've done it in the past and its super fun, although I am not super motivated and dying to do it...
October - Los Angeles Triathlon (Olympic distance)
November - NY Marathon - because it sounds awesome!!!!!

Its a pretty jam packed year up ahead - I picked races that were going to be fun and were going to be challenging - let's make 2011 even more unbelievable than 2010!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome schedule! Check out for January: http://sandyfeetevents.com/resolution-run-5k-15k/

    I'll also be out in UT at the IM but as a spectator/coach for 2 athletes.

    All the best to you and your goals!

    ~T

    ReplyDelete