Life in the world of Nuno Costa

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Reducing carbon footprint

It wasn't long ago that I was driving around town in my Toyota Yaris - i do miss it at times, but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.  I had it for a little over a year and then someone decided to run a stop sign without looking to the right and this was the result.

Luckily I wasn't seriously hurt - I did get some whiplash, but fortunately that went away pretty quickly.  The first few days I wanted nothing to do with cars, and saw it as an opportunity to get my bike out of the closet.  I ended up getting a rental for a few weeks, while the insurance settlement was taking place and before the end of the June I found myself without a car. 

I decided not to get a car before i left on my trip to Europe - it made no sense, i was going to be gone for 6 weeks.   Once I got back from my trip, I decided I could live without a car for awhile - so nowadays you will catch me riding my bike around town mostly, walking from time to time, and you may even see me running as well.

San Diego is not an ideal city to not have a car, but its totally doable!  The only minor challenge is getting groceries - i don't live close enough to be able to talk, but luckily I know enough people that it has been pretty easy to ask someone for help going to the store or picking up a few items for me.

The winter will be interesting without a car - i think I can do it, my goal is to go a full year without one, which means till next summer.  The accident happened right after I began my 101 things I wanted to do before i move on....little did I know I'd have an opportunity to scratch this off the list right away.

I really enjoy not having a car payment, insurance, having to pay for gas, etc...In that regard I am totally stoked to be able to allocated my money in different directions for this next year.  I am super lucky to be able to ride my bike to Crossfit Invictus which is where I coach.  Aside from that I travel quite a bit for Crossfit Endurance, so I can really justify not having a car.  It would make things easier from time to time, but this sacrifice I think is worth making and I am confident I will truly reap from the benefits of not having a car for a year - not only that but I am also reducing the carbon footprint on this wonderful universe  of ours :)

What are you doing nowadays to reduce the carbon footprint - you sharing rides to work?  Riding your bike one day a week?  I want to know how you are making a difference in creating a healthy environment for all :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! For carless people!! I love riding my bike to work, gets the blood flowing so I don't sleep at my desk!

    ReplyDelete